I own a rather large set of headphones, the fashionably huge headphones only I got mine for like $8.
These are the headphones I'll regularly wear on the bus, with a freakishly long cord wrapped multiple times around my poor beat up Ipod. I pretty much always pair these bad boys up with a sweet set of sunglasses.
I find it gives me a "hey don't mess with me" quality. People avoid sitting to closely, don't make eye contact all that good stuff.
Standing at the bus stop one evening, headphones, sunglasses, general disgruntled/angst-y look plastered on my face, I pull out my cell phone to check the time. It's around 5:34, the bus is supposed to be at the stop already, there's a crowd of people surrounding the pole that marks the 306's designated pick up area.
'It must me that crazy lady bus driver' I think to myself Quite frankly there is only one bus driver who is consistently late, its always the same lady. But that's besides the point.
I'm standing somewhat near the center of the herd, I've slid my phone back into my pocket, bobbing my head to the music(which is cranked all the way) the lady in front of me wheels around, looks at me and her lips start moving. I have no idea what she's saying, or if she's even talking to me I can't read lips or minds for pete sake!
I slide my headphones off my head, and let them rest around my neck. "I'm sorry?" I say.
"Do you have the time?" She looks like such an innocent old lady but she's not.
Because after just looking at my phone, I can't recall the time. I attempt to get my phone safely out of my pocket and don't quite manage, dropping it on the ground. In a crowd of people I try to pick it up without bumping into anyone....didn't quite manage that one either.
I finally have my phone in hand, I've checked the clock ready to help this poor lady with no sense of time. And what do I see before my very eyes?
The very same woman, got her very own cell phone out of her 10 ft sq. purse and is texting away...
I make angry eyes behind my sunglasses, replace my headphones mumbling to myself "5:42, stinkin' make me drop my phone, frick a' frakin lady"
Later on the bus I may or may not have blurted out
"Why do you ask the only person in a crowd with headphones on, for the time?!!?"
There are just some things I don't understand.
reminds me how much i miss your writing oh and i hate those moments
ReplyDeleteoh and most people that ride the bus are crazy too even here in utah
ReplyDeleteJake wants to learn how to use the public transport system over spring break. Joy. So this is what we get to look forward to?
ReplyDeleteLove your writing style, & you as well! ~SD <3
Hi Im Trish
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting blog.frick a frackin thats funny!Isnt that a Fred Flinstone curse?
I welcome you to real or folow my blog.
Merry Christmas!
Trish